Saturday, September 17, 2011

Making Haste Slowly

“To be genuinely wise,” wrote Ben Franklin, “one must make haste slowly.” I like that. I’ve spent the first part of my life being way too impatient, too eager for quick results.

God has a better plan. Psalm 37 is a reminder to “Trust in the Lord... Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart.” Indeed, the whole Psalm speaks of trusting, resting, and waiting–Christian virtues that are mainly learned in God’s school of patience.

Certainly, the Lord knows the desires of our hearts, for He gave them to us. But often for a while He wants to teach us to wait patiently in hope, while we learn to delight ourselves in Him. Postponed longing is painful for the moment, but reliance on God to fulfill our desires in His time is truly faith in practice.

So, in the second half of my life I’m going to try to make haste a little more slowly. Some of my later blogs may reflect on how I’m doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers